A note reading games challenge
Improve your treble and/or bass clef note reading with games like ‘Trap Door’ or ‘Pumpkin Mash’ and complete the Notecracker challenge! Can you unlock the musical codes in every game to earn the certificate?
Music teachers can add their own students to play these games
Sign up for a free teacher account to get started and follow the instructions in the Teacher Dashboard. Create a group, add your students (who automatically receive log-in details) and view a snapshot of their activity.
Games with a serious purpose
There are two Notecracker packs (one for each clef) and both have three levels. The full list of games can be found towards the end of this page but here is a highlighted selection …
Enter the abandoned castle to collect treasure – but watch out for the trap doors! A treble clef game.
How long can you keep your spaceship away from your opponent? A bass clef game.
Get caveman Fred to the other side of the village avoiding the falling rocks! A bass clef game
Have you ever played a ‘madlibs’ style game?
Complete the King’s love story with your own words in this ‘musical words’ activity!
“This music pack comes in three versions; a student licence, a studio licence for music teachers or the option of setting up teaching groups. Whichever version you choose simply open a web browser on your computer, laptop or tablet, select a game and play! “
Susan Leigh MA LRSM LLCM FISM – Music teacher and creator of the games
3 piano kids buzzing about using interactive games for their music theory. 2 sisters were very excited and want to compete!! Thanks @learnatune
All my students are now thoroughly addicted! The games are fantastic!
Genuinely thank you so much – particularly during lockdown teaching your games have been such a lifesaver and transformed the lessons. Truly grateful.
Organised into levels with varied question types
The final level is against the clock!
Treble Pack contents
A list of the games in Notecracker based around the treble clef
- Flappy Benny The Bat: guide Benny safely through the night and watch out for those trees! Have you got what it takes to make it to the end and top the leaderboard?!
- Trap Door: fearless Billy the brave Knight is searching for treasure in an abandoned castle. But there are hidden trap doors just waiting to swallow him and the treasure!
- Piranha Peril: keep your submarine away from the scary piranha as you travel under the ocean.
- Fruit Faces: put the fruit back together in this leaderboard game!
- Pumpkin Mash: you have 40 seconds to hide all the pumpkins from the witch before she turns the poor things into mash! You really need to know your note names well to succeed in this mission.
- Storyteller: complete the stories with your own words
- Space Race: send the astronaut across the galaxy but watch out for aliens and asteroids
- Runaway Mouse: catch the mice to win!
- Composer or Food: are you the “one in a melon” who can pass this quiz with full marks? Or will you not want to “taco” about it because you failed?
- Space Rocket Snap: represent the human race and take on the aliens with a game of snap using spaceships and rockets.
- Short Story: name the notes to make musical words and complete the story
- Time Out Treble: the final challenge is to name notes against the clock and try to top the leaderboard!
Bass Pack contents
A list of the games in Notecracker based around the bass clef
- Space Dodgems: keep your spaceship away from your opponent for as long as possible to score points
- Ten Pin Bowling: take on Joey at ten pin bowling – he hates to lose!
- Fearless Fred: reach the other side of the village and avoid the falling rocks
- Superhero Training: help Superhero Sam complete his flight training – but watch out for the logs! This is a leaderboard game.
- Goalie: enter the football penalty shootout championship against Team Vivace
- Banana Slip Bass: watch out for those banana skins!
- Puzzle Master: will you be crowned ‘Puzzle Master’ and top the leaderboard? Complete the puzzles in the quickest time possible to score the most points.
- Teacher in Space: send a teacher of your choice to space if you know your note names! Just don’t send your music teacher!
- School Escape: the school has been locked by the wicked headmaster, Mr Bomble, who has set extra homework. The lovely and kind music teacher has left notes around the school to help you escape! Can you decipher her messages and escape the school?
- Robot Rebellion: save the world from the robots – but only if you know your bass clef notes well enough
- Time Out Bass: go up against the clock and try to top the leaderboard