Grade 5 theory level online quizzes
Organised by theory topic, every quiz is locked with a musical code. Unlock all the codes (made up of grade 5 terms to learn!) to move up the levels and complete the Codebreaker challenge.
Online quizzing for an online exam
Playable with a tablet, laptop, computer or smartphone
Topics include chords, cadences, intervals, transposition, key signatures, time signatures, and more!
Just wanted to say how helpful my daughter found this site for revision in her lead up to her Grade 5 music theory exam. Will definitely recommend to others. Thank you.
Love your grade 5 theory games!
— Music Teacher
A 21st century approach to music theory
Codebreaker is more than just multiple choice and many of the questions are similar to those found in the new ABRSM theory syllabus from 2020. Drag notes on to the stave to make intervals, click to add bar-lines in time signature questions and much more.
Instant feedback as you play
The progress bar at the top instantly reveals how much of Codebreaker you have already completed. When you answer a question, correct or incorrect feedback is given and it often helps you improve by revealing the answer instantly if you get something wrong.
Music teachers can add their own students
This music pack comes in two versions; a student licence, or the option for music teachers to set up teaching groups and track activity. To set up a teaching group sign up for a free teacher account.
The music codes are all grade 5 theory terms
Created by experienced music teacher
Susan Leigh MA LRSM LLCM FISM
Codebreaker is split into nine levels and each focuses on a different theory topic with a set of interactive quizzes.
If you pass a quiz Codebreaker gives you the chance to unlock a code … but if you fail you have to do the quiz again. The clue to the code is a musical term definition (e.g. ‘at a moderate walking pace’) plus three possible answers (e.g. ‘lento’, ‘allegro’, ‘andante’)
- Level 1 Pitch and Clefs: Naming notes which play in the tenor clef, instruments which play in all four clefs (treble, bass, tenor and alto); using middle C as a guide note, notes at the same pitch, and enharmonic equivalents
- Level 2 Keys: Work out the keys from the key signatures; positions of sharps and flats in all four clefs (treble, bass, alto and tenor), and working out the key of the music
- Level 3 Scales: Major, harmonic minor, melodic minor scales and chromatic scales
- Level 4 Rhythm: Groups of notes including triplets and duplets etc.; dotted and double dotted notes; time signatures; groupings of notes and rests in simple, compound and irregular time signatures
- Level 5 Intervals: Intervals including compound intervals
- Level 6 Pitch and Transposing: transposing music up or down a major 2nd, minor 3rd and perfect 5th
- Level 7 Chords: Identifying chords I, II, IV and V in root position, first inversion and second inversion; choosing chords to form cadences
- Level 8 Musical Terms: A selection of quizzes and puzzles on Italian, German and French musical terms. Every quiz in all levels of Codebreaker 5 also has a musical code to unlock which is a musical term.
- Level 9 Signs and Instruments: Questions about instruments and voices; musical signs; ornaments; ‘Music in Context’ including questions on extracts of music